Your last three posts look delicious! I am going to have to try those bacon wrapped dates. Jesse loves anything wrapped in bacon. Today Jesse was cutting holes in the walls while I was cooking away in the kitchen. There were a lot of recipes that I wanted to try but with so little time I had to choose only one. I had picked up some Arborio Rice at the grocery store and searched for a recipe I could modify. I found this one from Martha Stewart and added my own spin to it. The most important thing I changed was the amount of liquid and the cooking time. I added a lot more water and it took me a lot longer to cook but the end result was perfect!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups mushrooms (diced)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup soft unripened goat cheese
- Heat oil in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add onions, mushrooms and salt and saute until onions are translucent, 3 minutes.
- Add rice and garlic to pan and saute until rice is toasted and fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to the pan in small batches. Bring to a boil stirring constantly, when the liquid evaporates begin adding water 1/4 cup at a time. continue adding water and stirring it in until the rice is soft. This may take up to 20-25 minutes so be prepared.
- Remove from heat, add the goat cheese and stir. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes and fluff with a fork before serving.