Although these cookies look super decadent, they are easier to make than you think. You can easily use the Kraft wrapped caramels but my favorite caramel of all time is Peter’s Caramel. I get mine at a local cooking store called Gygi’s but you can get yours HERE. It is a large block of caramel but then you will have plenty left over to make these super yummy Apple Pie Caramel Apples!
- 1½ cups softened butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 15 oz caramel **See notes
- 2 cups milk choc chips
- 2 tsp shortening
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add your vanilla, flour and salt. Mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to ½ inch thick.
- To cut cookies you can use a biscuit cutter or I just used a small glass that was 2 inches wide.
- Place round cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 14-16 minutes.
- Let cookies cool.
- Melt caramel and spread the caramel over the cooled cookies.
- Let caramel cool completely.
- Add your shortening into the chocolate chips and melt in the microwave. Use a microwave safe bowl and watch so that the chocolate does not burn.
- Spread melted chocolate over cooled caramel.
- Let chocolate set before serving.
- Do not put in the refrigerator as it will discolor the chocolate.