- 2 cups (284g) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting pan
- 3 Tbsp (26g) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 12 Tbsp (170g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (315g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (283g) sour cream (I used light because it’s what I had on hand)
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries , diced, plus 12 more small whole for garnish
- 3 1/2 Tbsp (45g) granulated sugar
- Cream layer
- 2 cups (475ml) heavy cream
- 6 oz (170g) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (90g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour an 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda and baking powder for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment whip together butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs one at a time then mix in vanilla. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix just until combined then add in 1/2 the sour cream and mix just until combined, repeat with flour and sour cream once more then end by mixing in last 1/3 of the flour mixture and mixing just until combined (scrape down bowl to ensure it’s evenly combined). Pour and spread batter evenly into prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 – 24 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Once cool cut into 24 rounds the size of your dessert cups (you’ll have a little left over cake which you can chill or freeze and serve later with more fresh fruit and whipped cream).
- For the strawberry layer:
- Toss diced strawberries with sugar. Let rest 10 minutes.
- For the cream layer:
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer whip heavy cream until soft peaks form (no need to clean beater blades for next step). In a separate medium mixing bowl whip cream cheese until smooth (scrape down sides of bowl occasionally), add powdered sugar and vanilla and whip until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese mixture to heavy cream and whip until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble trifles:
- Place 12 cake rounds in 12 fairly tall dessert cups. Add a spoonful of strawberries over each cake round. Transfer cream mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and pipe cream mixture over strawberry layer. Repeat layering process once more. Garnish each with a fresh strawberry. Serve within an hour for best results (the cake can be made a day in advance and covered, just wait to prepare the cream mixture and strawberries until almost ready to serve).
Recipe source: CookingClassy.com