May happens to be Carpenters month! My son was born in May so we celebrate with cake or cupcakes. But he was born on our anniversary, so we have to celebrate the day after with cookies or cake. A few days later is my birthday, so we do more celebrating with more treats, or in this case, scrumptious Strawberry Shortcake Bars (there may have been pazookie in there too)!
These Strawberry Shortcake Bars from Divas Can Cook are now a favorite among the adults. The super soft cake like crust perfectly combines with a light layer of cream cheese and whipped cream, topped with fresh cold strawberries. It’s heavenly! If that doesn’t sing “Happy Birthday to you”, I don’t know what does!
Butter Vanilla Cake:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pint strawberries
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ – ½ cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz frozen Cool Whip
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and butter until creamy. Mix in eggs, baking powder and salt. Alternate between adding in the flour and milk, beating after each addition. Beat until all ingredients are combined. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour batter evenly into a greased and floured a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. We sure not to over bake. Cake should be flat and light in color. Let cool completely. Set aside.
- Dice up strawberries and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar and frozen whipped topping. Evenly spread cream cheese mixture over top of cooled cake. Top with diced strawberries.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours.