These Strawberry Banana Breakfast Muffins are worlds healthier than most muffins out there. There’s no refined sugar and they’re gluten-free. So, that makes them guilt-free and you can enjoy one for brekkie.
- 2 chia eggs (mix together 2 Tbsps chia seed + 6 Tbsps water)
- 1/2 cup vegan milk + 1 1/2 tsps fresh lemon juice (or ACV)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (sub granulated or brown sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup ripened banana, mashed (about 2 bananas) (+extra for topping)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or agave)
- 1/2 cup strawberries, diced (+ extra for topping)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
- Place 12 muffin liners in a standard muffin pan. Or, you can lightly grease each slot.
- Prepare chia eggs in a small bowl and set aside, about 10 minutes, until it forms a gel-like texture.
- In a separate small bowl, add the almond milk and lemon juice. Set aside about 10 minutes. This creates a vegan buttermilk.
- In a medium bowl, add baking soda, coconut sugar, sea salt, rolled oats, almond meal and flour. (All dry ingredients) Combine well.
- In a large bowl, mash banana and then add the melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup, chia eggs and buttermilk mixture. Whisk to combine well.
- Now add the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients. Fold batter gently until just combined. Don’t over work it. Gently fold in strawberries.
- Fill each muffin liner about 3/4 full. Top each muffin with a few slices of strawberries & bananas (optional)
- Place in oven & bake the muffins until they are slightly golden on top, about 18-22 minutes. Insert toothpick into middle of muffin, if it’s mostly clean, then they’re ready. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a cooling rack for another 10-15 minutes. To avoid the liner sticking to the muffin, let them completely cool before enjoying.