Skip to content
- 3 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed*
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 15-ounce cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 cups chicken broth
- one rind of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 6-8 cups kale, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Parmigiano Reggiano shavings
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and salt and pepper well.
- Add the olive oil to the hot skillet. When it starts to shimmer, add the chicken. Sear well for 1-3 minutes, then flip and sear the other side until brown.
- Add the onion, carrots, garlic, diced tomatoes, white beans, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, and Parmesan rind to a 6-7 quart crock pot.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred, discarding bones. Return to the crock pot.
- Add 6-8 cups of chopped kale, cover, and cook for another 10-20 minutes.
- Serve with lots of Parmesan shavings and crusty bread!