This is a fantastic recipe! My mother-in-law taught me how to make this, and it’s always a hit. Either a snack, or a meal in itself. She would use mozzarella instead of provelone, and would use Italian Sausage as the base. She would also kick it up by adding parmesan or romano cheese to the sausage-cheese mixture. The more, the more decadant. Can also make with frozen spinach in lieu of sausage. Basically, a mini calzone and oh so yummy. Don’t be afraid to add oregano. This freezes well, too.
1 [11 oz] package Parker House Style frozen dinner rolls [i.e. Sister Schubert’s]
3 Tbsp butter, divided
8 large eggs
¼ cup sour cream
2 tsp chopped chives
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided [or your favorite]
8 oz spicy or mild breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, sour cream, chopped chives, salt and black pepper. Melt 1 Tbsp of butter in a skillet and soft scramble the eggs. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Allow the rolls to thaw enough on the counter to cut in half. Brush the top and bottom with butter.
- To assemble: Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese on the bottom half.
- Arrange the eggs, crumbled sausage and remaining shredded cheese on the bottom piece..
- Place the top piece over the filling and brush all over with melted butter. Sprinkle lightly with garlic salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately.