This St. Patrick’s dessert recipe starts with a simple white cake mix (be sure to use white, otherwise the cake’s color will affect the shade of your layers). You’ll prepare the cake, then divide it into three equal portions (measure it for accuracy) and color each with green food coloring (I used my fave Wilton gel coloring).
Start with the dark green batter first, and add a little color at a time, until you get the shade you like (I wish I had added a little more). Then, do the lightest layer … you’ll probably only need a touch of color. Finally, do the middle green last. That way, you can be sure it’s right between the other two colors.
After baking the cake, you’ll use a 2.5-inch circle cookie cutter to cut 7 circles from each layer. Then, you’ll add a generous amount of frosting between the layers. When you’re finished, use the flat edge of a knife to remove any excess frosting. That’s the trick to making the cakes look perfect!
- 1 box vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
- green food coloring
- 3 (10-ounce) containers cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray three 9-inch cake pans with nonstick spray or butter, then lightly coat with flour. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Measure batter, then divide it into 3 equal portions in 3 separate bowls.
- Add varying amounts of green food coloring to each bowl to create light, medium, and dark colored green batter.
- Transfer batter to cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove cake pans from oven. Let cool slightly, then remove cake layers from pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake layers have cooled completely, use the 2.5-inch cutter to cut each cake layer into 7 circles.
- Cover a dark colored circle generously with frosting, then add a medium colored circle, and add more frosting. Finish with a light colored layer, topping with more frosting.
- Use the flat edge of a knife to remove excess frosting from the sides of the cake.
- Serve cakes immediately or store in a cool place. Enjoy!