Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 1 hr 10 mins
Total Time 1 hr 25 mins
Burghul bi dfeen is an authentic Lebanese recipe based on bulgur and chickpeas, which is usually served with yogurt.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Lebanese, Middle Eastern
Servings: 4 people
Author: Mike Benayoun
½ cup chickpeas
12 small white onions
2 cups bulgur
1½ lb beef (or lamb), cubed
2 tablespoons Lebanese “7 spices” blend aka sab3a bharat (allspice, black and/or white pepper, cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, cloves, ginger)
2 bones beef (or lamb)
4 tablespoons samneh (clarified butter), or olive oil
1½ teaspoon salt
1. Soak the chickpeas in enough water to cover for at least 8 hours and ideally overnight.
2. Peel the pearl onions and keep them whole. Alternatively, blanch the pearl onions for 1 to 2 minutes in boiling water to make them easier to peel.
3. Brown the meat and bones in a large uncovered pressure cooker with a little oil or 2 tablespoons samneh for about ten minutes.
4. Remove meat.
5. Fry the pearl onions in the same pressure cooker for 5 minutes.
6. Cook the drained chickpeas in enough water to cover in a pressure cooker under high pressure for 15 minutes. Remove and drain chick peas.
7. Place meat, bones and salt in the pressure cooker, cover with water and cook under pressure for 30 minutes.
8. Open the pressure cooker, add the pearl onions and cook for five more minutes.
9. Remove the meat and onions from the stew.
10. Add the chickpeas and bulgur and a tablespoon of the “7 spices” blend.
11. Simmer uncovered, until the chickpeas and bulgur are tender.
12. Add more water if necessary. Add salt and pepper.
13. Serve the bulgur and chickpeas on a plate. Pour two tablespoons samneh or olive oil on the stew.
14. Top with meat and onions. Sprinkle “7 spices” blend to taste.
15. Garnish with a tablespoon of labneh (optional).
Source: 196 flavors