Serves 4 | Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 10 min
1 small yellow onion
5 cloves garlic
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup bread crumbs
oil for frying
chili garlic sauce (optional)
4 pita pocket breads, cut in half
1. Pulse onion and garlic in a food processor until finely minced.
2. Place garbanzo beans in a bowl and smash with a fork.
3. Add minced onion and garlic to garbanzo beans along with salt, oregano, cumin, baking powder, paprika, cayenne and egg. Mix well. Add in the bread crumbs slowly until the mixture becomes dry but you can still roll it together. Form the mixture into 12 balls. Set aside.
4. Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Slightly flatten falafel and fry until golden brown, in batches if necessary, about 2 minutes each side. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt.
5. To assemble the sandwiches. Place lettuce and tomatoes inside one half of a pita. Place two falafel inside and top with tzatziki and chili garlic sauce. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve.