This Hearty Vegetable Tuscan Chicken Soup has been showing up here a lot lately. It’s hearty, filling and perfect for those cold winter days.
Plus, this soup is jam-packed with a ton of nutrients, healthy vegetables, hearty beans and tender rotisserie chicken. The best part is that you can easily customize it with whatever you have on hand!
1 tablespoon oil
3 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups chopped carrots
3 cups chopped celery
1 large zucchini, chopped
1 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
¼ cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 (19 oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup diced cooked chicken breast (I used rotisserie)
1 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add the butter and olive oil. Add in the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and saute for about 4-5 minutes, until tender and fragrant. Stir in the zucchini and red pepper and cook for another 2 minutes until slightly softened. Sprinkle in the flour to create a roux and cook for another minute. Slowly add 1 cup of the chicken broth while continuously stirring until it starts to thicken and comes together. Then slowly pour in the remaining chicken broth.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, beans and entire can of tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add the chicken and reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cider vinegar and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until everything is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese, if desired.