For those of you who have been following my blog for a while, you might know that I follow the 5-2 Fasting way of life, which means two days a week, I keep my calorie intake at 500 calories or less. I have written about my experience with the 5-2 Fast Diet in detail.
Dinners on fast days are usually zucchini or tofu in a light tomato sauce or a bunch of roasted vegetables. I also resort to broccoli or cauliflower as they are very filling vegetables and good to have on fast days. From a 500 gram head of broccoli, you’ll get roughly 300-350 grams of florets, which is just around 105-140 calories, roughly 8.5 grams of protein and 7.8-9 grams of fiber. The yogurt and chickpea flour contribute to a little extra protein here. The nutrition label at the end of the post gives you an indication of calories, protein and fiber per serving. For a fast day dinner, you can have the whole lot which will come to roughly 200 calories with a few spoonfuls of yogurt.
For a regular snack, this recipe for crispy roasted broccoli will serve 2 portions. You can also add a teaspoon of oil to the marinade if you wish.
Recipe for zero-oil crispy roasted broccoli in Air Fryer – 96 calories per serving. Makes a healthy snack or an easy fast-day recipe (5-2 diet) – full of protein and fiber.
- 500 grams broccoli
- 2 tbsps yogurt
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp masala chat
- To prepare crispy roasted broccoli, we need to cut the broccoli into small florets. Soak in a bowl of water with 2 tsp salt for 30 minutes to remove any impurities or worms.
- Remove the broccoli florets from the water. Drain well and wipe thoroughly using a kitchen towel to absorb all the moisture.
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Toss the broccoli florets in this marinade. Cover and keep aside in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- When the broccoli is marinated, preheat the airfryer at 200°C. Open the basket of the airfryer and place the marinated florets inside. Push the basket back in, and turn the time dial to 10 minutes.
- Give the basket a shake once midway and then check after 10 minutes if golden and crisp. If not, keep for another 2-3 minutes. Eat them hot!
- If you don’t have an airfryer, use a preheated oven and spread the florets on a lined baking tray and bake for around 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 190°C or until golden and crisp.
Calories in roasted broccoli in air fryer: