I’ve already shared a few healthier takeout favorites in the past like this Skinny Beef and Broccoli, Teriyaki Chicken, Kung Pao Chicken and Mongolian Beef served with zoodles and I’m so happy to hear how much you guys love them already.
HEALTHY CASHEW CHICKEN – AN EASY 25 MINUTE HEALTHIER AND GLUTEN FREE VERSION OF THE POPULAR CLASSIC CHINESE TAKEOUT DISH.
- 3/4 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- sea salt and black pepper as needed
- 1 tablespoon tapioca or arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 3/4 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
- Sauce and Marinade
- 6 tablespoons gluten free tamari (or low sodium-soy sauce or coconut aminos for paleo version)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce (use gluten free if necessary or make your own paleo
- 3/4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (use raw for paleo)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tapioca or arrowstarch (or cornstarch)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water, plus more as needed to thin out sauce
- red pepper chili flakes
- toasted sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- For meal prep
- Cooked rice, quinoa or noodles
- Lunch containers
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, tapioca starch and 1 tablespoon of sauce/marinade.
- Add oil to a wok or a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes, or until the chicken is starting to brown.
- Toss in the broccoli and bell peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the chicken is cooked through. Pour in the remaining sauce and add the cashews. Toss everything together and allow sauce to bubble and thicken. Season with salt, pepper or red pepper chili flakes as needed.
- Remove from heat and serve warm on a large platter or over zoodles, cauliflower rice(paleo), quinoa or regular rice or noodles. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions if desired.
- For meal prep
- Cook rice and divide evenly into lunch containers. Add cashew chicken, cover and store in fridge for up to 4 days.
The ingredient options I’ve listed first are all gluten free. For paleo-friendly or the classic non-gluten free options, I’ve listed them in brackets.