The cream cheese filling is rich, creamy, and delicious. Keep it cold until ready to fill the puff pastries so it holds its shape instead of oozing all over.
- 1 package puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg
- 8oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- mixed berries for topping
- confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- whipping cream for thinning glaze
For the filling:
- Mix the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl by hand or in a stand mixer. Keep cold until ready to use.
- Reserve a few spoons of mixture for glaze.
For the pastry shells:
- Let the puff pastry sheets thaw on the counter for about 40 minutes but do not let get warm.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes before baking.
- While still cool, roll the sheets into an 8-10 inch square. Cut each square into 4 smaller 4-5 inch squares.
- Following the photos above, fold the squares in half, then cut a little less than ½ inch (1cm) from the edges, from the folded edge up to the center point, leaving an uncut space at the top of the point.
- Unfold the pastry. Fold one cut corner over to the inner cut corner on the opposite side. Do the same with the other uncut corner.
- Brush only the tops with an egg wash, 1 egg mixed with 1 teaspoon water, being careful not to get any on the cut sides.
- Pipe or spoon the filling into the center of the pastry. Top with berries.
- Bake in preheated oven until puffy and golden brown.