This apple pie recipe originally is from my mother-in-law…with some of my tweaks over the years. It seriously is so easy to make and so delicious!
- 1 pie crust
- 7-8 apples (about 6-1/2 cups of mixed variety is best)
- ¾ teaspoon apple pie spice (or cinnamon if you don’t have apple pie spice)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Butter, to dot the pie with
For the crumbs
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare your pie crust and place in 9” pie dish.
- Peel and slice your apples into small slices, about ¼” thick
- Place the apples into the pie crust.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the apples.
- Sprinkle the apple pie spice (or cinnamon) over the sugar.
- Dot with butter (4-5 small pieces of butter).
- To make the crumb topping, place the softened butter, flour and sugar into a medium sized bowl. Use the back of the fork or pastry blender to mix the ingredients to form crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the pie.
- Place the pie dish on a baking sheet.
- Place the pie in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- * Tip: Make a tent with foil and place that over the pie after baking for 20 minutes. This keeps the pie from browning too much.
- Pie is done when it is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Use a variety of apples. Mix a few different red apples with a couple of green apples for the best flavor.
- Make sure butter is softened to room temperature for the crumbs.
- Place foil tent over the pie after 20 minutes of baking so that it does not brown too much.