Apple Cider Glazed Roasted Chickens
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1 whole chicken
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Granny Smith or Pink Lady apple, quartered
- 1 small sweet onion, quartered
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a wire rack and set inside a roasting pan.
- Bring apple cider to a boil in a small saucepan. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle inside cavity of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stuff cavity with 2 apple quarters, 2 onion quarters, and the thyme.
- Rub butter over chicken and season outside of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Tie legs together with twine and set chicken on prepared rack.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake, basting with reduced apple cider every 15 minutes, until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- If skin hasn’t browned up enough, broil for 2 to 5 minutes.