Falafel is to Lebanon like the Starbucks Coffee in the US and the Second Cup in Canada. It is as popular as that, and as consumed. It is another one of our traditional foods that have traveled the world and settled, in same or different versions, in different countries. Adopted from Easy Lebanese Recipes.
Servings 20 patties | Prep Time 25 minutes | Cook Time 30 minutes | Passive Time 12h Overnight soaking of beans and chickpeas
How to Make Falafel Wrap
Falafel is mainly eaten in Sandwich (Wrap) or with pita bread when part of a Mezza menu. In order for you to enjoy this Falafel recipe to its fullest, here is how you make the Falafel Wrap:
- On a Lebanese Pita Bread, align in the center 3 freshly cooked Falafel balls, and press on gently to smash them a little.
- Pour on 4-5 tbsp of Tahini Sauce (I love mine generous with Tahini, aka, I go for even more!).
- Top them with Tomatoes, chopped Fresh Parsley, sliced Radish, and Lebanese cucumber pickles and/or turnip pickles.
That is the traditional Lebanese Falafel Wrap!
Some like to add lettuce and onions. You might, but having grown up eating the right Falafel Wrap, I discard any other added vegetables that mend with its original amazing taste.
1/2 cup Dry chickpeas soaked overnight (12h) then drained
1 cup Dry Fava Beans (skinless) soaked overnight (12h) then drained
1 Onion (small) chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 tsp Dry Cilantro
1 tsp Dry parsley
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground cumin
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
Preparing the Falafel Paste
- Beans and Chickpeas must be well dried from the water before proceeding. In a food processor, mix Beans, chickpeas, garlic and onions, and chop well.
- Add the baking soda, all the spices, and salt, and whisk well into a coarse thick paste.
- Preheat your panggangan to 356F (or 200C). Divide the paste into 20 patties, pressing them lightly between your palms, and place them on an oiled non-stick panggangan tray.
- Roast the patties for 20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown on both sides.
- Place them into a serving plate, and decorate, if you want, with fresh herbs: parsley or mint.
- Have a Tahini Sauce bowl on the side, Lebanese pita bread, Lebanese cucumber pickles, or Lebanese Beet pickles, and some cut tomatoes.
- For Falafel Wrap, refer to the recipe in the article above. Enjoy!