Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 60 minutes
4.4 Lb White Fish Cod, Red Snapper, or Sea Bass
3 cups Rice Long grain; rinsed and soaked in cold water
3 Onions (white or yellow) large
1/2 cup pine kernels
1/2 cup Almonds
1 tsp Ground Caraway
1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric
1 tsp Ground cumin
1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
3/4 cup Vegetable oil
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp Salt
- Rub the fish with some salt and olive oil, in and out
- In a large pan, fry the nuts in some of the vegetable oil until light brown. Remove on a kitchen paper-towel to soak off the excess of oil.
- Heat all the vegetable oil in the same pan, and fry the fish until tender. Set it aside, on a double-layer of kitchen paper-towel for few seconds.
- In the same oil, fry the onions into a brown color. Remove aside 3 tbsp for garnishing, and keep the remaining in the pan.
- While your onions are frying, work on the fish: Skin it off, cut off the head, remove the bones, and part the flesh into big pieces and set aside.
- Pour over the onions in the pan 4 cups of hot water, place in the fish head, and season with the spices. Leave it to simmer, covered, for 30 min over medium heat.
- Remove the fish head, and bring the liquid to a boil. Stir in the rice, mixing well. Cover, lower the heat, and leave it to cook for 25 min.
Transfer your cooked rice into a serving plate, and top it with the pieces of fish flesh. Place the fried onions you have set aside on top of the fish pieces.
Garnish with the pine nuts and almonds. Serve immediately.