|Kanafeh/Künefe (Sweet Cheese Pastry)|
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes Servings: 12
A pastry consisting of hot cheese in between layers crispy shredded phyllo dough in a sweet syrup that is common in the Middle East.
1/2 pound shredded phyllo (called: kataifi or kunefe), thawed as directed on package
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups mozzarella, shredded
2 cups feta (soaked in water for an hour) or goat cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup simple syrup or 1/4 cup apple and/or pear sauce
- Break the pastry apart into one or two inch long pieces, separating the strands. (A few pulses of a food process helps with this.)
- Mix the butter into the pastry with your hands in a large bowl until coated and press half of it into the bottom of a greased metal baking pan in a thin layer.
- Pulse the cheeses in a food processor until the mixture reaches the consistency of a coarse meal and press it into the dough in the pan.
- Press the remaining dough onto the cheese and bake in a preheated 350F/180C panggangan until lightly golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve warm covered in syrup or topped with apple and/or pear sauce.
Note: Top make the simple syrup, simmer 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar until the sugar has disolved and let cool.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 280, Fat 18g (Saturated 11g, Trans 0.3g), Cholesterol 57mg, Sodium 489mg, Carbs 20g (Fiber 0.3g, Sugars 9g), Protein 9g
Source: Closet Cooking