Recipe by Rachel Allen from Rachel’s Favourite Food
This Middle Eastern street food is hard to beat: spiced chickpea fritters served in warm pitta bread with cucumber, tomato, natural yoghurt and a drizzle of tahini.
400 g tinned chick peas drained
3 crushed or grated Garlic Cloves
1 teaspoon ground Coriander
1 teaspoon toasted and ground Cumin
1 tablespoon chopped Parsley
1 tablespoon Plain Flour
2 Pita Bread
0.25 sliced Cucumber
2 large sliced Tomatoes seasoned with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar
4 tablespoons Natural Yoghurt
2 tablespoons Tahini optional
1. To make the falafel, whiz up the chickpeas, garlic, onion, spices and parsley in a food processor until just smooth.
2. Empty into a bowl, add in the flour and season to taste.
3. It will taste quite strong, but don’t worry, it needs to be since it will mellow when it’s cooked.
4. Flour your hands and shape the mixture into 4 patties and fry them in a little oil until golden on both sides (about 3-4 minutes on a medium to low heat).
5. While they’re cooking, heat up the pittas, then split them open and pop 2 falafels into each, followed by slices of cucumber and the seasoned tomato slices.
6. Spoon over the yoghurt and tahini, if using.
7. Eat immediately!