The Middle Eastern staples eggplant and chickpeas plus a garlicky yogurt sauce give oomph to these simple vegetarian wraps. Be sure to get a good char on the eggplant and use ripe, juicy summer tomatoes.
1 small clove garlic
12 tsp fresh lemon juice
¾ cup Greek yogurt
1 (15.5-oz) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry
1 medium eggplant, sliced into 3/4-inch thick rounds (about 14 ounces)
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 (10-inch) soft tortillas
4 tsp dried oregano
1 ripe medium tomato, diced (about 8 oz)
2 small Persian cucumbers, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 4 oz)
½ small heart romaine, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1. Heat the grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
2. Grate the garlic into a medium bowl and pour the lemon juice over. Let stand about 2 minutes. Whisk in the yogurt, 2 tablespoons water and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Put the chickpeas in a large bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup of the yogurt sauce and set aside.
4. Brush the eggplant slices generously with olive oil on one side and season with salt. Grill oiled-side down until charred, rotating once to char more of the surface, 2 minutes total. Brush oil on the top, sprinkle with salt, flip, and grill until charred and very tender, another 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to a cutting board, chop roughly, and then stir gently into the chickpea mixture. Taste the mixture and season with salt, if needed.
5. To make the wraps, spread 2 tablespoons of the yogurt sauce on one of the tortillas. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the oregano. Form about 1 scant cup of the chickpea mixture into a log across the wrap about 3 inches from the bottom, leaving a 1-inch border on each side. Top with some chopped tomatoes and a little salt, then add some cucumber and lettuce. Fold the sides of the wrap over the ends of the chickpea mixture, then roll up tightly from the bottom. Repeat for the remaining tortillas and filling. Cut each in half on the bias, and serve.
SOURCE AND CREDITS
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Courtesy of Food Network Kitchen