A gently spiced crème caramel finished with a crunchy walnut brittle and whipped cream.
Prep Time: 15 MIN
Total Time: 2 HR 45 MIN
1 cinnamon stick
1 sachet (49g) Betty Crocker™ Crème Caramel Mix
1 teaspoon vanilla
Caramel Walnut Brittle
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
125g caster sugar
100g walnuts, chopped
1 sachet (35g) Betty Crocker™ Homestyle Whipping Cream Mix
115ml cold milk
4 x 150ml molds/serving cups
Baking shallow pan
Large frying pan
Electric mixer or whisk
- Heat milk and cinnamon stick to boiling in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add crème caramel mix; heat to boiling again with continuous stirring, ensuring powder has fully dissolved. Add vanilla; remove cinnamon stick.
- Pour mixture carefully into 4 (150ml capacity) heatproof molds or serving cups. Cool slightly, then refrigerate about 2 hours or until fully set.
- Brush oil in a shallow baking pan. Place sugar in large skillet. Place skillet over medium-high heat to melt sugar, swirling skillet occasionally to ensure it melts evenly – but do not stir, or it will crystallize. When sugar starts to turn golden, add walnuts. Stir briefly, then carefully pour onto oiled pan. Cool 10 minutes, then break into small pieces.
- Beat whipping cream mix and cold milk in medium bowl as directed on package.
- Gently run knife around sides of mold, and turn out onto plates to serve. Serve with brittle and whipped cream.
Another way of ensuring the crème caramel comes out of the mold is to very quickly dip the bottom half of the mold into hot water. This heats the outside of the crème caramel up, so it slides out easily. You can serve the crème caramel in the molds or serving cups instead of turning out onto serving plates.