My cousin and her children who live in Canada, visit us once every three years. The first day they arrived, I wanted to make something traditional that they haven’t had in a long time, so my husband suggested oriental style rice with seasoned lamb, which is, “accidentally” his favorite dish. It was the perfect start to their holiday, they absolutely loved it! Adopted from Kiri.
Servings 5 | Cooking Time 20 mins | Preparation Time 20 mins
Serve with a yogurt, cucumber, garlic and mint salad on the side. You can also serve with a curry sauce.
6 Kiri squares
500g minced lamb meat
3 medium onions (finely chopped)
4 cups of white long grain rice, washed and drained
5 cups of chicken stock
1/4 cup of raisins
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon Arabic 7 spices
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
5 whole cardamom seeds
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup of toasted pine seeds, almonds and pistachios mix
- Saute the onions in the oil until it turns golden brown, then add the lamb meat.
- Add raisins, cinnamon, spices, pepper, cardamom and bay leaf. Then cook the mixture.
- Stir the rice and combine it with the meat.
- Add the Kiri squares to the chicken stock and stir until the cheese melts.
- Pour the Kiri mixture over the rice.
- When the rice starts to boil, cover the cooking pan and simmer over low heat until the rice is well cooked.