|Photo: Roasted Eggplant with Tomato Dressing
The Lebanese Recipes Kitchen (The home of delicious Lebanese Recipes and Middle Eastern food recipes)invites you to try Roasted Eggplant with Tomato Dressing Recipe. Enjoy quick and easy Middle Eastern food recipes and learn how to make Roasted Eggplant with Tomato Dressing.
“This recipe is a very traditional one, and this is a common ingredient combination,” says Münferit’s chef, Ferit Sarper. He makes the dish especially appealing by serving the eggplant whole and then topping it with an incredibly light tomato vinaigrette.
Yield: 4 to 6
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
1 pound plum tomatoes
3 long, green Korean peppers or 1 large poblano chile
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons basil, thinly sliced
- Preheat the panggangan to 450°. Set the eggplants on a large rimmed baking sheet and pierce all over. Roast the eggplants for 45 minutes, until very soft.
- Meanwhile, peel the tomatoes with a vegetable peeler. Working over a coarse sieve set over a bowl, cut the flesh from the tomatoes and transfer to a shallow bowl. Allow the seeds, core and juices to fall into the sieve. Crush the tomato cores and press the juice through the sieve. Add the juice to the bowl with the tomato flesh; discard the seeds and cores. Season the tomato with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and let stand until more juices are released, about 25 minutes.
- Roast the peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until charred all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and let cool. Peel, core, seed and coarsely chop the peppers.
- Cut the tomato sections into small dice. Return them to the bowl and stir in the chopped peppers, garlic, vinegar, sugar and the 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with pepper.
- Peel the eggplants, leaving the stem attached. Cut down the center of each eggplant and discard any large seed sacs; lightly drizzle with olive oil. Season well with salt. Spoon the tomato dressing over the eggplants. Sprinkle with the kuman and serve.
Ferit Sarper, Food & Wine