|Photo: Traditional Bahraini Chicken Machboos|
Chicken Machboos is the national dish of Bahrain. A spiced chicken and rice dish, this recipe is thoroughly authentic and guaranteed delicious.
Yield: 10 persons
Ingredients (10 persons)
Amount Measure Name
1.80 l Water
1.00 kg Basmati rice
30.00 g Knorr Savoury Rice Seasoning
500.00 g Tomato
2.50 kg Chicken
500.00 g Onion
100.00 g Coriander
2.00 pc Green hot pepper
3.00 pc Black dried lime
18.00 g Arabic mixed spice blend (Baharat)
12.00 g Turmeric powder
8.00 g Cumin
16.00 g Cinnamon Powder
10.00 g Cardamom Powder
18.00 g Garlic Cloves
4.00 g Ginger
75.00 g Butter
25.00 ml Knorr Lime Seasoning
75.00 ml Water for lime seasoning
75.00 ml Rose water
80.00 g Oil
50.00 g Knorr Lemon & Herb Seasoning
1. Cut the chicken in half. Heat the water and leave aside. In a small bowl, mix the Baharat, turmeric, cumin, and cardamom together and add to the mixture one teaspoon of Knorr Lemon & Herb Flavoured Seasoning. Sprinkle half of the spice mixture on the chicken halves.
2. Heat oil in a large cooking pan, fry the onions until golden brown, then add to the pepper and the black limes – you must make a hole in each limes.
3. Add the chicken to the onion mixture and turn it over a few times in the pan. Sprinkle on the chicken a teaspoon of cinnamon and the rest of the mixed spices. Turn the contents all together so the chicken is coated with the spices, cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat for 3 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, chopped ginger, and tomato cubes to the pan and turn the ingredients in the pan a few times. Cover again for 3 minutes on medium heat. Sprinkle with the rest of the Knorr Lemon and Herb Seasoning and pour water on it while it is still hot.
5. Cover the pan and let it cook for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked. Add the chopped coriander 5 minutes before you remove the chicken from the stock in the pan. While the chicken is cooking, wash the rice well and soak for 10 minutes in cold water, then drain.
6. Remove the chicken from the pan and put on an panggangan tray, brush with some oil and sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon powder and grill in the panggangan until the chicken is golden brown.
7. Add the rice and Knorr Savory Rice Seasoning to the chicken stock, stir, then let it cook on low heat until the rice absorbs the stock and is almost done.
8. Sprinkle rose water and Knorr Lime Seasoning over the rice and place the butter pieces on top. Cover the pan and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
9. Serve the rice on a large serving plate and place the grilled chicken halves on the top.
Source: Unilever Food Solutions