|Photo: Beryani with lamb recipe|
The Lebanese Recipes Kitchen (The home of delicious Lebanese Recipes and Middle Eastern food recipes) invites you to try Beryani with lamb Recipe. Enjoy the Lebanese Cuisine and learn how to make Beryani with lamb.
1 Tbsp. spice mixture*
1 kg lamb, cut into cubes
4 large onions
4 cloves garlic
1 piece of fresh ginger about the size of a hazelnut
1 1/2 cups meat stock
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
1 tsp. ground green chili pepper
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. saffron
1/4 cup hot milk
2 cups Basmati rice, cooked
1/2 cup plain yogurt
- In a large bowl, combine the ground spice mixture and salt. Add the meat and rub well with the spice mixture.
- Slice three of the onions and cut the fourth into quarters.
- In a food processer, grind the quartered onion, garlic, and ginger, adding half of the meat stock to make a thick liquid.
- Add the mixture to the meat, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the sliced onions for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown and caramelized. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- Add the marinated meat to the same pot. Cook, stirring, until golden brown. Add half of the caramelized onions to the meat, reserving the other half for garnish. Mix well, add the rest of the meat stock, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes or until the meat is well done. Add more meat stock or water if necessary during cooking.
- Add the mint, green chili pepper, and fresh cilantro to the meat mixture while stirring.
- Soak saffron in the hot milk.
- Divide the cooked rice in half, placing each half in a separate bowl.
- Whisk the plain yogurt to loosen. Add one half of the rice to the yogurt. Mix saffron into the other half of the rice.
- Mix some of the rice and yogurt mixture into the meat mixture. Using the rice with saffron, make a layer on top of the rice and yogurt mixture. Make a layer of rice and yogurt mixture on top of this. Repeat this process of alternate layering, using all the remaining rice. Cover securely.
- Cook the mixture on low heat for 20 minutes or until done.
- Flip the pot in a serving plate and garnish with the caramelized onions.
- Spice mixture* consists of equal parts cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, hot pepper, white pepper, and turmeric.
- This dish can be made with a dough cover. Combine 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour and a pinch of salt. Gradually add 1/2 cup of water. Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Roll out. Place on top of the simpulan rice layer, sealing the edges against the pot.
- Biryani can be baked in the oven, about 350˚F (180˚C), for 20 minutes or until done.
Source: Chef Osama