I’ll say up front that I prefer to use real whipping cream in place of the Cool Whip. IF you choose to NOT use Cool Whip, you may need a total of 2-3 of the 8 oz. cartons of whipping cream.
Below, for the third layer, the “lemon” layer, I list two options: This recipe can be made more quickly with INSTANT Lemon Pudding & Pie Filling, OR, you can do as I did, and use the “COOK & SERVE” Lemon Pudding & Pie Filling– following the directions according to what is on each box.
FIRST LAYER: CRUST INGREDIENTS and DIRECTIONS–
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (plus another 2 tablespoons chopped pecans saved for garnishing top IF desired)
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 stick butter (or 3/4 cup) , softened to room temperature
Combine the above four ingredients, blending well. Press into the bottom of a “non-stick sprayed” 9 x 13-inch pan (or, glass dish). Bake at 375-degrees for between 15 and 20 minutes OR, depending on your oven, until only lightly browned. Set aside to cool. (Since this is the only part of this recipe that is baked, I like to make this the night before I need it, keeping it tightly covered after it cools.)
SECOND LAYER INGREDIENTS and DIRECTIONS:
- 2 of 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened to room temperature.
- 2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED or run through a screen.
- 1/2 of a 16 oz. Cool Whip (save the other 1/2 for the fourth layer).
- Place cream cheese in mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add the SIFTED confectioners sugar and beat until all is light and fluffy.
- Add the first 1/2 of the 16 oz. Cool Whip. Fold in evenly and gently.
- Spread this mixture over the pre-baked and cooled crust.
THIRD LAYER INGREDIENTS and DIRECTIONS:
(Including TWO options for the layer of lemon)
Option One: 2 of the 4.3 oz. (large) boxes of “COOK & SERVE” Lemon Pudding & Pie Filling prepared exactly as instructed on the package, but with using 1/4 cup less water than what is called for, making it a thicker mixture. Again, follow the instructions perfectly, including the “medium heat”, and using a “wire whisk” to eliminate lumps. Be careful because when it reaches the boiling state, it likes to “spit hot stuff” at you! When done, put into a container, cover with something like plastic wrap or sheet of parchment paper to keep top surface from drying out while it COOLS. Once it cools, spread it over the “SECOND LAYER” (above).
Option Two: 4 of the 3.4 oz (small) boxes of “INSTANT” Lemon Pudding and Pie Filling, prepared in a large mixing bowl and according to directions on the box, but with using a total of 5 cups of milk. Spread it over the “SECOND LAYER” (above).
FOURTH LAYER INGREDIENTS and DIRECTIONS:
- The last 1/2 of the 12 oz. Cool Whip used in the Second Layer (above)
- Spread this Cool Whip over the layer of Lemon Pudding & Pie Filling.
- Optional: Garnish the top with a very light sprinkling of the extra chopped pecans listed in the “crust section” (above).
- Chill, covered, for at least one hour. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Source Recipe: http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com