- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, melted OR “very soft”
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar (dark WILL work if that’s all you have).
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch.
- 5 cups chopped fresh, OR frozen rhubarb that’s been drained and patted dry.
- 1 cup thickly sliced fresh strawberries (about 1/2 pound).
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened.
- 1 cup confectioners’ (powdered) sugar.
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped, DIVIDED. (Cool Whip will work as a substitute).
- Additional brown sugar to sprinkle on top, optional.
When the hot mixture was ‘done’, I spread it on a shallow dish and set it in a cool place to…. cool off! When it was “cool”, I stirred in the cup of sliced strawberries. SET it aside while you prepare the “CREAM layer”.
To prepare the “middle CREAM layer”, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until very smooth. Fold in 1 cup whipped cream (could add more if you have extra). Spread this “CREAMY stuff” over the baked and cooled crust.
NOW, add the cooked (and cooled!) Rhubarb-Strawberry mixture and spread out evenly. It will look like this…
Top with remaining whipped cream (or Cool Whip?). Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before cutting and serving. Immediately, before serving, you could sprinkle a tiny bit of brown sugar over the top of each piece as garnishment.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe that Sara Zignega, Hartford, Wisconsin, adapted from a neighbor of hers. Source Recipe: http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com