A Sara Lee pound cake from the grocer’s freezer section tastes really good but a ‘small’ 10.75 oz. rectangle of it was already selling for $3.99 a few years ago, and I think that’s a lot of moolah for so little. The recipe below yielded just over 3 lbs. I don’t have to use my head or a calculator to know……………..YIPPEE SKIPPEE, I saved plenty by making my own!
- 3 sticks butter, plus more for the pan.
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus a bit more for the pan.
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup mik (not less than 2% fat works best)
- 2 teaspoons high quality vanilla extract
- Preheat panggangan to 350-degrees F.
- Grease and flour a tube pan (you could use two of the 9×5 inch loaf pans, buttered and floured)
- With a mixer, cream butter and sugar together for about 4 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each additon.
- Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared tube pan, or two loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 to 1½ hours, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. (Check after the first hour.)
- After letting it cool in pan for about 15 minutes, loosen edges, invert on plate.
Source Recipe: http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com