Quite a few years back, Audra shared this favorite of hers with me. (Because I used a bigger dinner roll, I changed the quantity amounts just a little bit.) This ends up tasting like an all-in-one chicken/ham/Swiss cheese sandwich, but even better because the mixture is baked inside the hot bun. Makes 12 bundles
You will need:
- 12 of Rhodes White TEXAS rolls, THAWED to room temperature. (The Rhodes Texas rolls are 50% larger than the regular Rhodes dinner rolls.) You could make ‘bundle covers’ with your own favorite dinner roll dough, and they might taste even better!
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 2 cups Swiss cheese, grated (I grated some, cubed some)
- *1 teaspoon dried thyme (rub it between fingers to ‘wake up’ the flavor)
- Pinch of black pepper
* Use the spices YOU like. That might be Rosemary, Marjoram, Poultry Seasoning, Oregano, etc.
- Wood toothpicks (for securing the ‘bundles’)
- 1 egg white, beaten until foamy/frothy
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, optional
Thaw the frozen rolls to room temperature.
In a bowl, combine chicken, ham, cheese and seasonings. It will look like what’s in the picture below. Set aside.
Brush these unbaked bundles with beaten/foamy egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Let rise for about 15-20 minutes. Bake on a parchment paper (or foil?) lined pan at 350-degrees for about 30 minutes. (They’re quite filling!)
Source Recipe: http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com