Both pictures in this blog were taken by me, Doris.
This recipe uses 100% whole wheat flour with maple syrup as the only sweetener. I add neither salt nor oil/butter. It doesn’t end up being ‘heavy’ and I think it has a good taste to it.
The texture is quite a bit like that of banana, zucchini or pumpkin bread.
I usually triple the recipe because then I can use the 32-oz. size carton of plain yogurt (with just a little left over for me to have). Actually, by using the whole container of yogurt, you should be able to 4x this recipe.
Healthy Recipe from Home Cures That Work:
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt ( My niece Judy E. said she would probably use the Vanilla flavored yogurt)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 lemon, juiced (I substituted 1 tablespoon lemon juice from a bottle)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I used regular 100% whole wheat flour, and it worked)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Preheat panggangan to 360 degrees F.
2. Grease, OR generously spray with ‘non-stick’, a 9×5-inch bread/loaf pan.
3. In a bowl, mix wet ingredients (milk, yogurt, egg, maple syrup, and lemon juice).
4. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg).
5. Gradually stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until moistened.
6. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
7. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Cut into 12 slices
Nutritional Facts: (One slice, if made as ‘original’ recipe designates)
Calories: 110, Total Fat: 1.2g, Sodium: 234mg, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein 4g.
Source Recipe: http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com